Moving Checklist, who you need to informOne of the reasons that moving is so stressful is because of all the little things you have to remember to organize, far beyond simply packing up your goods and arranging transport.

There are dozens of companies that need to know about your change of address, and all sorts of services and utilities to move along with you.

We’ve put together a “how to” list to help you along, with as much detail as possible to smooth the way.


Telephone, TV and Broadband Providers

TV Licence 

When you move home your TV Licence doesn’t automatically move with you. You need to transfer your licence to your new address. You can do this online up to three months before you move.


You will need to update your contact details with your television, satellite & broadband. Your broadband will need to be set up and activated at your new address. Here is a full list of the top television, satellite & broadband providers and how to contact them.


Financial Institutions


You will need to draw up a list of all the banks, building societies, credit card/loan companies, and other financial institutions with which you have accounts, and let them know your change of address details.


Don’t forget other financial providers such as your private pension provider, insurance company and your employer.

If you are registered for online access to your accounts with these institutions you should be able to notify them of the address change via the internet. Alternatively, call their customer services number or go and visit them in person.



A priority should be to inform your existing gas, electricity and water supplier of your moving date as soon as it is confirmed, as well as the providers at your new address. Make sure the final and initial meter readings are taken at the old and new address respectively. Here are links to the “moving home” information of the Big Six energy providers:

British Gas    EDF Energy    npower   E.ON UK   Scottish Power    SSE

This may be a good opportunity to find a better deal by switching providers.


Driving Licence and Vehicle Registration

Change the address on your driving licence with DVLA online for free. Apply online using your Government Gateway ID. If you don’t have one or need to re-register, you’ll get an ID as part of your application. You can drive while waiting for your new licence. You must also update your V5C vehicle registration certificate (log book) if your vehicle will be kept at your new address.


Taxes and Benefits

Fill in an HMRC online form. You’ll need your tax reference number and National Insurance Number to hand. These are on your payslip, P60 or tax code notification). HMRC will update your personal records for:


Redirecting Mail

who to notify when you move

You can arrange to have your mail re-directed when you move. Royal Mail will redirect your mail to any UK or overseas address for up to  3, 6 or 12 months from £29.99. Sign up for this service online.

And everyone else:

You can also use a service such as who will be able to notify a lot of the institutions you might have forgotten about.


Continue to Top Landline, Satellite & Broadband Service ProvidersList of Home Phone/Broadband service providers

Return to Advice for a DIY move

Return to A Guide to Moving House

Return to the Index of Dentons Guides


Although we will keep this list updated as far as possible, we can’t be held responsible if any of the information is incorrect or obsolete. Likewise, we are not responsible for content on any linked sites.