Dentons has been providing local information and business listings since 1967. Below is a list of useful contact details for a range of services in Frome and the surrounding area. This includes information on council services, education, transport, health, recycling & emergency services
Council Office Services
Mendip District Council provides a range of services for the residents of Frome and the surrounding area including education and social care.
|Council Tax||0300 303 8588||Mendip District Council, Cannards Grave Road, Shepton Mallet BA4 5BT|
|Collections for Recycling and Rubbish||0300 303 8588||Mendip District Council, Cannards Grave Road, Shepton Mallet BA4 5BT|
|Parking Fines||0300 303 8588||Mendip District Council, Cannards Grave Road, Shepton Mallet BA4 5BT|
|A-Z of Services||visit website|
Schooling can be a difficult time for parents and pupils. Below are some useful numbers to help combat potential issues that may arise for both pupils and parents during a child’s time at school.
|Admission to Schools||0845 456 4038||School Admissions, Somerset County Council, County Hall, Taunton TA1 4DY|
|Bullying||01823 356728||The Corporate Equality Team, Somerset County Council, County Hall, Taunton TA1 4DY|
|Home to School Transport||0845 345 9155||Transporting Somerset, PPC302, Somerset County Council, County Hall, Taunton TA1 4DY|
|More Information||visit website|
Frome and its surrounding area has the most stunning scenery, making it register office in the area the ideal location to register for a marriage or civil partnership.
|Registration Office||01373 462887 or visit website||Frome Library, Justice Lane, Frome BA11 1BE|
Emergency services in Bath are well organised and extremely responsive. Contact information for the main emergency services in the Bath and North East Somerset area is listed below:
|Emergency Services||emergency 999 or non-emergency 101||Localised national response|
|Avon and Somerset Constabulary||101 or visit website||Somerset|
|Frome Police Station||101||Oakfield Road, Frome BA11 4JG|
|Devon & Somerset Fire & Rescue Service||01392 872 200 or 101||Headquarters, The Knowle, Clyst St. George, Exeter EX3 0NW|
|Frome Fire & Rescue Service||101 or visit website||Keyford, Frome BA11 1JG|
|South West Ambulance Service||01392 261500||Abbey Court, Eagle Way, Exeter EX2 7HY|
|CircleBath||01761 422222 or visit website||Foxcote Avenue, Peasedown St John, Bath BA2 8SQ|
|Frome Community Hospital||01373 454740 or visit website||Enos Way, Frome BA11 2FH|
|Royal United Hospital||01225 428331 or visit website||Combe Park, Bath BA1 3NG|
There are a fantastic range of NHS services available to residents of Frome and the surrounding area. Whatever the problem, be it a broken tooth or a broken leg, specialists are on hand.
|Child Health||visit website||or search on Dentons.net|
|Complementary Medicines||visit website||or search on Dentons.net|
|Dentists||visit website||or search on Dentons.net|
|Diabetes Services||visit website||or search on Dentons.net|
|Doctors Surgeries||visit website||or search on Dentons.net|
|Mental Health Services||visit website||or search on Dentons.net|
|Optical Services||visit website||or search on Dentons.net|
|Pharmacy Services||visit website||or search on Dentons.net|
|Sexual Health Services||visit website||or search on Dentons.net|
Social Services – Children, Young People, Adults and Families
Somerset County Council has a number of teams and specialists in place, to support adults, families and children in all circumstances.
|Adoption and Fostering||0800 587 9900||Fostering and Adoption Enquiries, Somerset County Council, County Hall, Taunton TA1 4DY|
|Adult Social Care||0845 345 9133||Somerset County Council, County Hall, Taunton TA1 4DY|
|Adults with Learning Disabilities||0845 345 9133||Somerset County Council, County Hall, Taunton TA1 4DY|
|Children's Services||0845 345 9122||Somerset County Council, County Hall, Taunton TA1 4DY|
|Drug & Alcohol Team||01823 357111||Somerset County Council, County Hall, Taunton TA1 4DY|
|Older People – Carers||0845 345 9133||Somerset County Council, County Hall, Taunton TA1 4DY|
|More Information||visit website|
The popularity of sending a letter may be decreasing but in and around From, there are many post offices to buy a stamp, send a letter, purchase a rod fishing license or exchange money for a trip abroad.
|The Post Office||0345 611 2970 or visit website||Localised national response|
|Fromefield Post Office||0845 722 3344||18 Fromefield, Town Centre, Frome BA11 2HE|
|Frome Post Office||0845 722 3344||Within Co-op, 7-9 Westway, Frome BA11 1BS|
|Maiden Bradley Post Office||01985 844206||Church Street, Maiden Bradley BA12 7HW|
|Mells Post Office||01373 812251||Woodlands End, Mells BA11 3PF|
|Portway Post Office||01373 467294||2 Portway, Frome BA11 1QP|
Leisure Centres and Sports Facilities
Sports and leisure facilities in Frome are centred at the leisure centre offering a range of activities and classes and access to several clubs.
|Frome Leisure Centre||01373 465446 or visit website||Princess Anne Road, Frome BA11 2SA|
There are excellent transport links and regional rail services for Frome operated by First Great Western with the main line to London Paddington, Taunton and Plymouth available from Westbury railway station nearby.
|Rail Enquiries||visit website||Search national network|
|Frome Railway Station||0845 700 0125||Station Approach, Wallbridge, Frome BA11 1RE|
|Westbury Railway Station||0845 700 0125||Station Approach, Westbury BA13 4HP|
|Bus Timetables||visit website|
Housing for Homeless People
Somerset County Council provides advice and assistance is to tenants, landlords, lettings agents, owner occupiers, parents, young people and agencies to try and prevent homelessness wherever possible.
|Housing Support||visit website||Somerset County Council, County Hall, Taunton TA1 4DY|
For anyone facing money, legal, housing or benefit issues the Citizens Advice Bureau offers free, confidential and impartial advice.
|Citizens Advice Bureau||0844 375 2775 or visit website||Nationwide|
|Mendip Bureau||01373 456496||5 King Street, Frome BA11 1BH|
Chamber of Commerce
The Chamber represents the interests of Frome’s business community by engaging in vital debates about both current issues and future developments in the town.
|Wessex Chambers||01225 355553 or visit website||8 Ascot Court, White Horse Business Park, Trowbridge BA14 0XA|
A coroner’s role is to establish, normally by post-mortem, whether a death is natural or unnatural in the eyes of the law. If the death is unnatural, further investigations might be undertaken with a view to presenting a case to be heard before a coroner at an inquest.
|Avon Coroner||01275 461920 or visit website||Flax Bourton Public Mortuary, Old Weston Road, Flax Bourton BS48 1UL|
Our Frome dentons directory (10th edition) is currently distributed to over 20,500 business and residential addresses in the Frome area. The Frome distribution area also includes the localities of Beckington, Chapmanslade, Corsley Heath, Mells, Nunney and Rode. For more information about our directories, please click here.
Frome is the fourth largest town in Somerset with a population that has doubled in the last forty years to about 27,000 today. It is approximately 13 miles south of Bath and located at the eastern end of the Mendip Hills. The centre of the town, through which the River Frome runs, is surrounded by hills.
The town has grown substantially in recent years but still retains a very large number of listed buildings, and most of the town centre falls within a conservation area.
Frome is twinned with the towns of Château-Gontier in France and Murrhardt in Germany.
- The name Frome comes from the Old English word ffraw meaning fair, fine or brisk and describing the flow of the river.
- From 950AD to 1650, Frome was larger than Bath and originally grew due to the wool and cloth industry. In the early 1700s, Frome was an important commercial centre with its prosperity built on the wool and cloth trade. The peak of the local woollen industry came in the period from the 1500s to the 1700s. As the wool trade declined, Frome began to embrace the new engineering industries including metal-working and printing.
- The Formula One racing driver and 2009 world champion, Jenson Button, was born in Frome in 1980.
- Population – 24,510 (2001)
- Governing Authority – Mendip District Council
- Major Industries – Metal Working; Printing; Retail
- Post Town – FROME
- Postcode District – BA11
- Dialling Code – 01373
- Police – Avon and Somerset Police
- Fire – Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Service
- Ambulance – South Western Ambulance Service
FIVE THINGS TO DO IN FROME
1. Amble up and down the quaint cobbled street of St Catherine’s Hill, lined with fascinating independent shops. If you’re lucky enough to be there on the first Sunday of the month you’ll catch the exciting artisan market which stretches through the town centre.
2. Run totally by volunteers, the Frome Museum is a showcase for the town’s intriguing history, and a valuable archive for research into the area’s past. There’s always a special exhibition on the go, and the staff are enthusiastic and happy to point out the most interesting exhibits.
3. Just a few minutes from town in the picturesque village of Mells lies a hidden treat. The Walled Garden of Mells, with its historic honey-coloured stone walls, is laid out with traditional herbaceous perennials and is truly a delight. It’s the perfect place to relax and enjoy a light lunch or tea and home made cake under the apple trees.4. There’s always something hot and happening at the Cheese & Grain. Frome’s rather unique not-for-profit community venue boasts everything from roller discos to antiques markets, rock concerts to car boot sales. Pop in and peruse a schedule of the latest events while you have a cup of coffee at the buzzing cafe.
5. Black Swan Arts is a dynamic arts centre in the heart of town. There’s a vibrant programme of contemporary and innovative arts and crafts always unfolding. View the Main Gallery, three artists studios, a pop-up studio, SEED Gift Shop, and enjoy Divas Cafe.
Discover Frome for yourself
- BBC News – Somerset
- Black Swan Arts
- English Heritage
- Frome Festival
- Frome Museum
- Frome Times
- Frome Town Council
- Frome Town Talk
- National Trust
- Recycling Guide
- Visit Somerset